Welger Machinery is a German manufacturer of agricultural machinery founded in 1899. The business launched by Gottfried Welger was continued by his sons who founded the Maschinenfabrik gebrüder Welger for the development and manufacture of straw balers.
In 1928 Welger started the first successful tests of a baler. It was around this time that the company also set up a second production line for agricultural trailers. As the first manufacturer, Welger moved over to the mass production of agricultural trucks with pneumatic tyres. This was a fundamental innovation at that time.
The rise of the combine harvester in 1951 gave Welger the impetus to develop the first high-pressure baler. During the 1950s Welger also extended their agricultural transport vehicles programme. In addition to low trucks and dump trucks, they expanded their range with the first fertiliser spreaders and also later self-loading trailers.
At the beginning of the 1960s they set up a third production line for multi-disc rotary mowers and in 1972 the foundations were laid for the present Welger recycling engineering gmbh firm. This company supplied special static balers for compacting paper, card and similar materials. These presses were used in warehouses, supermarkets, printers and numerous other branches of industry.
In 1972, Welger began development of a completely new type of press for agriculture - a roll baler for large round bales using the fixed chamber principle. This design in accordance with the Welger system has since been granted patents throughout the world. Welger’s patent rights have been established through numerous licensing agreements with renowned manufacturers all over the world.
Welger has been providing big balers since 1985, when it was the first manufacturer to bring the Delta 5000 square baler onto the market. This was followed by the D 4000 and D 6000 series in 1992 and by the D 6050 series in 1993 which was the first square baler with an integrated system for short cutting.
Cutting technology introduced at the beginning of the 1990s led to the Welger rP 200, a machine that immediately became the best-selling baler in its class. In 1999 the Welger 520 with a variable chamber was launched which was the largest round baler available in Europe. 2001 saw the introduction of the Welger Double Action 220 Profi, a combination of a baler and wrapper. The RP 402/420 models followed in 2003 and also the new D 4060 square baler. Welger is once again a leader in the area of round baler technology with the RP 235 en Welger RP 435 lines. The Welger delivery programme has reached new heights in quality due in part to an enormous number of pioneering discoveries. in 1994 this highly traditional company from Wolfenbüttel was taken over by the Dutch Lely group. Welger separated from the the Lely group through a management buy-out at the end of 2003 and from the beginning of 2004 operated as Welger Maschinenfabrik gmbh. The Lely companies remained largely responsible for the distribution of Welger machines. In 2006 the Andlinger & Company investment group took a controlling interest in Welger Maschinenfabrik gmbh. Welger was taken over by a joint-venture consisting of Lely and Vermeer in 2008. Welger celebrated its 110th anniversary in 2009.